Mercury from 'silver fillings' is not retained and
is in such small doses that it has no effect on the health of the
German (6), Swedish and American investigations
(8) have found that human brain and kidney tissues from people with
'silver fillings' contained more mercury than those tissues of people
without 'silver fillings'. The amount of mercury in the brain tissue
of the people with 'silver fillings' correlated to the number of
fillings they had i.e. the more fillings the person had, the higher
the concentration of mercury in the brain tissues.
It has now been established that the mercury from
dental 'silver fillings' constitutes the largest single source of
inorganic mercury exposure to the general population - greater than
all the other environmental sources combined (10). Despite replicated
scientific findings, dental authorities maintain that 'silver' dental
fillings are safe. They base this on the fact that the fillings
have been in use for 150 years. They do not recognise that sickness
or death might arise as a result of such fillings, and dentists
are nether trained or licensed to determine mercury toxicity (11).
However, from the medical perspective 'silver fillings'
are considered a significant source of mercury with significant
potential for toxic impact. Medical researchers are now investigating
the possible health risks of mercury from 'silver fillings'.
The latest medical research shows that mercury from
'silver fillings' accumulates in all the adult tissues, with the
highest levels being found in the kidney and liver (13); and that,
during pregnancy, mercury will cross the placenta and accumulate
in the developing baby within two days of having a filling placed
Although there have been
reports to suggest a relationship between the presence of 'silver
fillings' and human health, it is only recently that science has
established a direct cause and effect link between 'silver fillings'
Experiments carried out at
the Departments of Medicine, Pathology and Physiology at Calgary
University by M.J.Vimy, N.D.Boyd, D.E.Hooper and F.L.Lorscheider
show a 50% reduction in kidney function in sheep one month after
placement of 'silver fillings' and continues to fall after 60 days.
The kidneys remove harmful substances from the blood, and maintain
blood pressure and fluid balance. They also reabsorb essential nutrients
and minerals. The loss of 50% of kidney function is like losing
one kidney, and although healthy people can usually survive on one
kidney, at times of stress it may not be ideal.
In another experiment, where
mercury fillings were placed in the teeth of monkeys, it was shown
that mercury from the 'silver fillings' dramatically altered the
normal bacteria of the gut (16). In their place appeared mercury-resistant
strains, which can also be resistant to antibiotics. Exposure to
mercury may explain the rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria and
the ineffectiveness of antibiotics which is a alarming problem in
Recent reports implicate
mercury in certain brain dysfunctions. Autopsy data from patients
who died while suffering from Alzheimer's disease show higher concentrations
of mercury in brain areas associated with memory than an age-matched
group who did not have Alzheimer's disease (17,18). Others have
isolated a biological defect caused by mercury (19) which results
in nerve tangles characteristic of Alzheimer's disease.